How to Install Bifold Doors on Carpet Flooring
Internal bifold doors are great for all rooms around the house. They have a nice lightweight feel to them while letting you view much larger areas than standard doors when they're open. For homeowners, they tend to be an increasingly popular choice. However, they can sometimes be a little tricky to fit, especially when on a carpet.
If you want to know how to fit bi-fold doors over a carpet then following this guide should see you through the process from start to finish.
Things You Will Need:
- Measuring tape
- Wood block x2 at 1” x 3”
- Felt-tip marker
- Utility knife
- Clear silicone adhesive
How to Install Bifold Doors Over Carpet
- The first step when installing internal bifold doors is to start with the top of the door. You will need to fit the tracking to the door frame and screw in the top of the door pins ready for installation.
Start with the tracking. Measure the width of your doorframe at the top where you will be installing the tracking. Leave a 1/6 of an inch of either side. Use a pencil to mark where you will be fastening the track to the door jamb. You will then need to drilll some holes where your pencil marks are and insert the screws.
- Once the tracking is on the door jamb you can add the bumper - put this in the centre of the track. You will then need to put on the pivot brackets - you should have one for each end of the track.
- When the top tracking is in place, align your bottom bracket on the floor and mark with the pencil where it will fit on the jamb. Leave half an inch between the carpet and the bracket.
- Next you will need to cut two pieces of wood – both 1” x 3”. Place one of these blocks flat on the carpet where your bottom bracket would be and draw around the block. You will need to use the felt tip pen on the carpet in order to see the marks clearly. Use a knife to cut the carpet around the block – you will also need to remove any adhesive from the carpet that remains on the floor – you can this easily with a chisel. Once the area is clear stick the wooden block to the floor. This stage might not be necessary, if you choose a tracklesss door you shouldn't have to touch the carpet at all.
- Get your bottom bracket and position this on top of the wooden block. Mark holes in the wooden block and the door jamb where the screws will need to go and then drill the holes as required. Then fasten the screws, repeat at the other side of the doorway and your fixings are all set.
- The next step is to install the door. You should get three pins with the door – a smooth headed pin, a roller pin and a ridged pin. Put these in the predrilled holes in your door. The smooth head and roller pin fit at the top of the door with the smooth pin going at the side nearest the door jamb. The ridged pin fits at the bottom end opposite the smooth pin. Align the pins into the brackets and your doors should be fixed ready to use.
Bifold doors can be a little complicated to fit, especially when on a carpet. However, when they’re finished the look and efficiency of them make them more than worth it. It is important to look after your doors, even if this means taking them off the tracks every once in a while, to clean the tracks but now you know how to install them, this should be a fairly easy process.
Check out our full range of internal bifold doors. They make a great addition in any home and we've got great models available for great prices. For more choice on internal doors, we also have ranges of internal French doors and internal folding doors. If you have any questions about our products, then see if it hasn't been answered in our FAQs section. Make savings on some new doors in your home today!